Friday, September 21, 2007

(Mostly) Sensible Article on the Nutbars

I enjoyed most of this article on the 9-11 CTs:

I have to admit that I do this with some trepidation. I can already feel the assault on my inbox. But after a good long think about potential time and energy being lost by our entire community to senseless and ultimately inconsequential musings, I have to come out and say it: the alternative theories about 9-11 are wrong. Worse, the endless theorizing and speculation about trajectories, explosives, military tests, fake airplane parts and remote control navigation actually distracts some of our best potential activists from addressing the more substantive matters at hand.


I suspect that last part is wrong unless the antiwar community really lacks for pimply guys in black shirts who can stare at YouTube videos for hours. But he inevitably goes off the rails here:

In fact, the most logical conclusion I can draw from the existing evidence is that 9-11 theorists are themselves covert government operatives, dedicated to confusing the public, distracting activists from their tasks, equating all dissent with the lunatic fringe, and provoking the counterculture’s misplaced belief in the competency of its foes. That’s the real conspiracy.


Never ascribe to malice that which can be chalked up to stupidity. Still, a mostly good discussion of why the crackpots are wrong.

Labels: